Sunday, December 16, 2007

Where have I been?

I've been knitting! Actually, I've been knitting and helping my friend in her yarn store, and knitting, and trying to work, etc., etc. December is so busy! I have some proof that I have been knitting. A couple of holiday FOs...

Here is shedir, knit for my friend who is battling breast cancer, again. I did not use Calmer, but now I wish I would have. Instead I used JaggerSpun Zephyr DK (the yarn is yummy, but I messed with gauge and ended up with a too-big hat - I'm trying to shrink it down, but not having a ton of success). Anyway, regardless of the hat, my thoughts and prayers are with my friend and her family at this tough time.



I also finished a wristlet for my sister. This is "Toothpick Optional". Isn't it adorable? I didn't really do the pattern justice, but I'll definitely knit this again. My photography stinks, but there are shades of pink in there you can't see that well.



In other holiday knitting news, I decided to throw in the towel on my husband's sweater. He has a January 10 birthday, and Valentine's day is coming, too, so he'll get it for one of those. I will finish my mother's sweater. I had planned to hire out the finishing, but I'm not sure if the woman who does the finishing is available. If she's not, I imagine I'll be sewing it up on December 25, because I won't see my mom until December 26.

I also am working on a little elephant for ZEN. Pretty cute, and a good way to use up some yarn.

I finished a pair of Fiber Trends felted clogs, but they're still felting. Those are for my mom, too.

Speaking of my mom, I have a sinking feeling that she won't wear the sweater I am knitting for her. Given that, I'm not sure why I'm busting my butt to finish it. She kind of rolls her eyes at my knitting (although she does love felted slippers, so I know the clogs will be a hit). I'm sure that there's some deep psychological reasoning that would require delving into our moderately tortured relationship, but maybe I'd rather not know? I'll be disappointed if she doesn't like the sweater - it's taken a lot of time and work. We'll just have to see - maybe she'll surprise me.

Oh, and did I mention here that ZEN got honoroable mention for the knitty calendar? I'm pretty sure everyone who entered did, but if you want to check out ZEN and the others, go here. There are some really great photos in the calendar. I suppose some of them are even better than a goofy, orange-nosed baby in a pool full of blue yarn! We might try again next year. There are some ideas brewing.

And I'll leave you with a picture of ZEN with Santa. She's not a huge fan just yet. Nat thinks that maybe she was suspicious of him because of his skinny legs. We'll have to see if he forgives her and brings her anything this year.

2 comments:

weezalana said...

Both FOs came out very cute! Sorry the Shedir's too big. Maybe you can gift it to someone and knit another for your friend?

Hey, if your mom doesn't like the sweater, just "borrow" it from her. Then you can enjoy the fruits of your own knitting! ;)

Congrats on the honorable mention!

Jo said...

Willow is 5 and is still not a fan of Santa's... The Shedir is lovely - that hat is in my queue.